I thought this would complement yesterday’s blog on Why We Can’t Stop? Be sure to check out the You Tube link – Bob Newhart’s classic “Stop It!” routine.
Don’t you wish we could just STOP doing our sexual sin? If you’re like me, you’ve tried 1000 times to stop. But we just keep coming back to that same behavior. A string of attempts, and a bigger string of failures. I try to control myself, but instead find my sin is controlling me.
This is how an addiction works. This is also what bondage looks like.
I continue to realize that I cannot stop my sexual sin. But it doesn’t mean that all is hopeless and that I’m trapped.
WE HAVE TOO MANY PROBLEMS
1. Heart problem - It’s not the behavior, it’s our hearts. Our hearts are selfish, conditioned, and driven by our lusts. Our hearts want what is easy and makes us feel good.
2. Sin Problem – Our core, apart from Christ, is sinful. Our natural desire is to go the wrong way. Our sin nature controls us.
3. Chemical Problem – Addiction feeds off the chemical highs. We have caused the chemicals in our brains to go crazy when we look at porn, fantasize, masturbate and have sex. Our brains crave more and more.
4. Learned Behavior Problem – We have conditioned ourselves to act out in unhealthy ways. And we’ve probably been doing it for decades. The paths of sexual behavior are “well worn” paths. It makes charting new paths extremely difficult.
5. Emotional Problem – We have emotional needs and hurts that we are trying to medicate with lust, masturbation, and porn. They are an undercurrent that feeds our addiction.
A FOUR-PART SOLUTION
If we are to be freed from sexual sin, we must open give up our efforts to try and fix ourselves. We must surrender to God’s help and the help of others.
1. God - God is the only one who can get down into our hearts and work on the deep stuff is Christ.
2. Support Group - A healthy support group is not just an addiction group. It could be a combination of your family, your friends, your wife, or your pastor. These are your cheerleaders, your encouragers.
3. Wise People - Different from our support group, these are the people that can give us the insight we need about ourselves to work on the deeper stuff. They can help identify blindspots and weaknesses.
4. My Part - We do have a part, it’s just different. It involves surrender to God, submission to others, and a commitment to the process. These must all be done on a daily basis.
BOB NEWHART’S “STOP IT” ROUTINE
Here’s a great comedy bit that Bob Newhart did called “Stop It!” Enjoy a good laugh today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYLMTvxOaeE&feature=PlayList&p=6B68C3EC0F5CF992&index=0
GET HELP FOR YOUR PURITY JOURNEY
- Online / Phone Support Groups
- Accountability Coaching
- Personal Coaching
- Speaking at Conferences